August 1, 2012

this city

This city holds me like a lover
In its arms of concrete and glass
Sends me running for cover
Covers my back while I rest.

And I've been running forever
Even when I'm standing still
In my armor of metal and leather
In my armor of laughter and skin.

This city holds me like a hostage
Doesn't leave marks you can see
But underground in the darkness
I go wherever I please

So I've been going all over
Nobody's stopped me yet
They've got no guards at the border
They've got no locks on the gates.

This city holds me like a promise
That I once gave, when I was too young,
When I still believed I was honest
When I still believed I was strong

And I'm doing my best to keep it
I'm doing my best to keep on
Nobody catches me weeping
Nobody catches me down

This city holds me like a story
I'll be hanging on till the end
Though there's nothing waiting there for me
But the chance to start over again.

But I still believe in redemption
And I still believe in relief
I'm still hoping for some kind of meaning
I'm still hoping for some kind of peace

No comments: