June 29, 2012

thorns of the wild rose

O come with me
to the field of green
at the fading of the light

O follow me
I won't be hard to see
in my gown of maiden white

O lay you down
on the warm summer ground
and rise no more tonight.

O did you ever
come this way before
on a quiet summer night?

O did you go
where the wild roses grow
with a maiden by your side?

O lay you down
on the warm summer ground
and rise no more tonight.

And I will come down
in my sister's gown
that she made to wear as your bride.

O she once came down
and you made her your own
but no vows did she take as she died.

O I'm coming down,
won't be long now
till we're lying side by side.

On a silver blade
I have carved her name,
and I'll carve it once more tonight.

O lay you down
on the warm summer ground
and rise no more, no more.

O I'll lay you down
in the soft summer ground
where you'll lie forever more.





No comments: