June 7, 2009

Same River Twice (Interrupted Dance) (lyric)

"You could not step twice into the same river; for other waters are ever flowing on to you." - Heraclitus

Well, the last time that I saw you
We were saying goodbye
And when I let you go, my hands were shaking
But we knew we couldn't start a love on a lie
And so we went home to the ones who were waiting

It was all so long ago,
but here you are before me now
It looks as though we got another chance
To take the next step
Of our interrupted dance

But like the sages always say
All things change, nothing abides
And you can't step in the same river twice

You know, I never did forget your face
And I kept a place for you in my heart
I held onto the memory of our stolen days
But the lovers of that story
Are no longer who we are

'Cause, darling, now you're free and I'm alone
But this garden has been overgrown
With the weeds of disappointment, doubt and guilt
Yeah, I am free and you're alone,
And we could make a shelter, but not a home
From the broken bricks of the houses we'd once built

Like the sages always say
All things change, nothing abides
And you can't step in the same river twice

There's nothing I would rather do
Than hold you in my arms again
There is nothing I would rather do
Than pretend that nothing's changed
That you and I could have a brand new beginning
But I know it woudn't be the same
So, for the sake of who we were back then
Let's let our interrupted dance
Remain unfinished

Like the sages always say
All things change, nothing abides
And you can't step in the same river twice

2 comments:

Ainsof said...

hmmmm Heraclitus.... the fire that moves the world, how appropriate to incorporate such sagacity into a song that captures the subdued resignation often attending the wise. I love the refrain, and while there is little metaphor here, I had to pause at the mention of the garden being overgrown; while it rhymes well enough and conveys an appropriate sense of passage... it may also suggest something a little more intimate--don't know if that's a rendering you would want or not. Just thought I'd mention it. I can so relate to these images (aside from the garden ;) Better to let a dance remain unfinished than to force it into a regretful end.... be well shweets!

Renata B. said...

I see what you mean and it actually did occur to me - but the thing is, I really like the image of an actual overgrown garden. (I'm into the imagery of Sleeping Beauty as well :) So I decided to leave it, for now . . . not going to abdicate usage of garden symbolism just because of some scribbles by a sex-crazed dead Austrian ;)