June 9, 2009

Canção do Mar (translitic, aubade)

This is a true translitic of "Canção do Mar" by Dulce Pontes. It is not even an attempt at translation - I speak no Portuguese. It's my interpretation of the music and what the words sound/"feel" like to me. I do advise everyone to find and listen to a recording of this song. I find it incredibly beautiful.

PS - This is one of the many excellent exercises suggested by Steve Kowit in his wonderful book "In the Palm of Your Hand: The Poet's Portable Workshop."

Fools like us can never tell
A lifetime from an hour, a mountain from a storm,
Sand from rain, fire from stone, a desert from the ocean.

Tell me love, the night is on our side
That the dark will keep us safe tonight

Tell me, love, there is still time
Time before the sunrise comes and takes you from me
Oh, my love, we still have time, a lifetime till the morning

Close your eyes, the sky is still so dark
I can still see the moon and stars

You and I are thieves tonight
Tomorrow, we'll be caught and made to pay the price
But, oh, tonight, you and I, possess the only thing worth stealing.

*****
[Original text -
Fui bailar no meu batel

Além no mar cruel
E o mar bramindo
Diz que eu fui roubar
A luz sem par
Do teu olhar tão lindo

Vem saber se o mar terá razão
Vem cá ver bailar meu coração

Se eu bailar no meu batel
Não vou ao mar cruel
E nem lhe digo aonde vou cantar
Sorrir, bailar, viver, sonhar contigo]

No comments: