June 7, 2009

Angel At My Door (translyric)

This is a very loose translation of a French song, "Un Ange Frappe A Ma Porte" by Natasha St-Pier. So loose, in fact, I can't even call it a translation - the English lyrics match the music and there are shared images, but that's about all. Original lyrics below. Incidentally, the song is beautiful and should be listened to - it was a hit and is widely available on YouTube, etc.

A sign, a star
Too close, too far
Red fire in the sky
The truth wrapped in a lie
Too slow, too fast
The fragments of the past
Are coming back to wash up on my shore -

There's an angel at my door
Shall I ask him to come in
Ask him what he's looking for
Where he comes from, where he's been
There's a demon at my door
And he wants to come inside
He says all he's asking for
Is a moment of my time

A flash, a flame
A love, a name
A face behind a mask
Reflections in a glass
A glance, a gleam
An echo of a dream
A dream I hardly think of anymore -

There's an angel at my door
Shall I go to let him in
Ask him what he's looking for
Where he comes from, where he's been
There's a demon at my door
He's been waiting there all night
He says if I hear him out
He'll make everything all right

There's a storm that will not come
There's a stone no one has thrown
There's a sword that cannot fall -

There's a child at my door
And he says that he is mine
He's got your eyes and my mouth
And his face is full of light -

When I reach him, it's too late
When I reach him, he is gone
How much longer till I've paid
For whatever I have done?


Original lyrics - Un Ange Frappe A Ma Porte

"Un signe, une larme,

un mot, une arme,
nettoyer les étoiles à l'alcool de mon âme

Un vide, un mal
des roses qui se fanent
quelqu'un qui prend la place de
quelqu'un d'autre

Un ange frappe a ma porte
Est-ce que je le laisse entrer
Ce n'est pas toujours ma faute
Si les choses sont cassées
Le diable frappe a ma porte
Il demande a me parler
Il y a en moi toujours l'autre
Attiré par le danger

Un filtre, une faille,
l'amour, une paille,
je me noie dans un verre d'eau
j'me sens mal dans ma peau

Je rie je cache le vrai derrière un masque,
le soleil ne va jamais se lever.

Un ange frappe a ma porte
Est-ce que je le laisse entrer
Ce n'est pas toujours ma faute
Si les choses sont cassées
Le diable frappe a ma porte
Il demande a me parler
Il y a en moi toujours l'autre
Attiré par le danger

Je ne suis pas si forte que ça
et la nuit je ne dors pas,
tous ces rêves ça me met mal,
Un enfant frappe à ma porte
il laisse entrer la lumière,
il a mes yeux et mon coeur,
et derrière lui c'est l'enfer."

2 comments:

Tina said...

love it. how loosely translated...?

(sorry didn't even attempt the French!)

T.

Renata B. said...

Thanks :)
Found translation online! Yay, saves me the trouble ;)
http://artists.letssingit.com/natasha-st-pierre-lyrics-un-ange-frappe-a-ma-porte-english-translation-f4hzz4r