February 28, 2009

Pearls for the Swine (lyric)

Yeah, I hear your big old boots
rattling up the dust
You got a fistful of carnations
and a pocketful of lust
I better get up and give you
what you came here for,
'cause I can hear you knock-knock-knocking
the dirt off my door.

Well, I've been taking meetings
with men of sound repute
My eyes blur over, looking
at the pinstripes on their suits
They say they can give me
what I really need
An easy, even trade
of loneliness for greed.
They're only tired soldiers, looking for peace.
Kings in search of another concubine.
Ah, but they're all just suckers, begging for a piece,
and I'm saving all my pearls for the swine.

And I know this one fellow,
he writes songs to make you cry.
Swears he found life's meaning
in the corners of my eyes.
His body's full of longing,
his mouth is full of words.
A few of them are even ones
that I haven't yet heard.
And it breaks my heart to refuse the pleas
of a poet who is searching for a rhyme.
But after all, he's just a sucker, begging for a piece,
and I'm saving all my pearls for the swine.

And the man I saw last night
had a body like a god,
a face just like an angel
and a name I soon forgot.
He's so used to winning,
that he gets turned on by defeat,
and he laid his beauty gently,
like a weapon at my feet.
But even though he looks good on his knees,
he's just another kill of time.
Just another sucker, begging for a piece,
and I'm saving all my pearls for the swine.

Well, I wear my jeans real tight,
and I wear my hair real long,
and the streets are mine all night,
but I like to sleep alone.
I'm so tired of explaining
I'm not just playing hard to get.
And maybe I should just give up -
but it's not over, not just yet,

'cause now I hear your big old boots,
rattling up the dust,
and the scent of crushed carnations
cuts the swimming smell of lust,
and then, I finally hear you knocking,
and it's what I've been waiting for.
You know, every man's madonna
wants to be another's whore.

And hey, I'm just a prisoner, waiting for release,
counting notches while I do my time,
ah fuck it, I'm a sucker, begging for a piece,
saving all my pearls for the swine.

No comments: