December 4, 2008

Your Body is My Country (lyric)

You call me at a quarter after ten
And for a while, it's all "How are you, how has your day been"
And anyone who heard us would just think that we're old friends
And then you say, "Wanna come over, we'll have a drink or something."

And twenty minutes later, I'm jumping in a cab
Your spare key in my pocket and my toothbrush in my bag
Tomorrow is a Sunday and I have got no plans
And even if I did, I know I'd break them

'Cause your body is my country and I know its map so well
I have sworn it my allegiance, I'm a loyal citizen
And I've been to all the temples of its ancient, pagan gods
But I still have never found my way
My way to your heart

At your place, it's no surprise I find
You've lit a candle and you've poured the wine
In all the time I've known you, you've never been unkind
To me, and, as far as I know, to anyone

And it's not true, what all of my friends say
That I'm just another girl that you've learned how to play
I think that you must love me, in your own way
And if you've never said so, well, it doesn't really matter

'Cause your body is my country and I know its map so well
I have sworn it my allegiance, I'm a loyal citizen
And I've been to all the temples of its ancient, pagan gods
But I still have never found my way
My way to your heart

No comments: